Warm Weather Conservation
With summer here, utilize the resources below to help you reduce your energy use and lower your utility bill costs.
Energy Conservation Techniques
Adjust the Thermostat Rebate Available
• For maximum comfort and energy efficiency in your home, set your summer thermostat to 78 degrees.
• Save energy while you are away by installing a smart thermostat. Some new thermostats are also Wi-Fi enabled and can be controlled from your mobile devices.
Washer/Dryer Rebate Available
• Line drying clothes will help increase energy efficiency and increase the comfort level of your home by not having the extra heat of the dryer warm the house.
Locate and Eliminate Leaks
• Cold or hot air can escape your home through gaps or holes. Locate the leaks and seal them up.
• Caulk or weather stripping will seal gaps in doors and windows.
• Increase your home comfort level by only turning on lights you need, especially during the late afternoon hours to save energy during the hottest part of the day.
• Making the switch to LED lights in the home can save energy not only because they use less electricity than traditional bulbs, but they also produce less heat!
Adjust Your Water Heater
• Maximize the energy efficiency of your water heater by setting it to 120 degrees and install
a water heater blanket.
• Extend the life of your home investments by reducing the temperature setting of your water heater to 120 degrees.
• Install a water heater timer around your schedule to reduce energy usage by preventing it from heating water when not in use.
• To help conserve energy, prepare refreshing cold dishes, such as salads and sandwiches.
• No need to heat up the oven tonight! Keep the heat down and save time and use your microwave to heat those leftovers!
AC/Heating System Rebate Available
• Replace the filters once a month — or more often if they get dirty.
• One of the easiest ways to reduce energy usage on a hot afternoon is to simply leave the house. Try a new restaurant, read a book at the library, or enjoy some time outdoors.